Sunday, November 16, 2008

Welcome Home

Where have you been my whole life Mr. Pugface? I'm completely smitten, it's puppy love at first sight! After a very long 4 hours drive, made even longer by the fact that my weather proof car with a heater is in the shop and I had to drive the heaterless '68 bug in the 40 degree, sunless weather, which is kind of like driving a colander down the highway at 70mph, I was at the shelter. I arrived frozen solid and shivering. I made the difficult decision to stop by Walmart before going to the shelter to finally see my baby, so I could buy a bunch of blankets and make sure I didn't return home with a Pugsicle. I also bought him a doggie coat. I plan on being a 100% total goob with this dog, clothing and all. However I didn't realize when I grabbed this particular doggie coat that it matched my coat so well until we pulled over at a rest stop full of truckers so I could walk him around in the grass. Kind of felt like a Paris wannabe but we were totally stylin'! The 4 hours home were just as cold but tolerable now that there were blankets.

I've never had a pug before, nor have I owned a dog this small, what a funny little guy. I've read up on them so I'd heard about the snorting and grunting and snoring but he's always making a little noise, like a Pug purr. He's very polite for a puppy, he's 7 months old. He isn't nippy or chewing on things. I know he's the new guy so his personality may change a bit as he gets comfy and he just got his buddies snipped off so he may still be recovering a bit from that as well, but he's one mellow, laid back dog! And what a love, follows me around and as soon as I sit down he's cuddling. It's hard to tell if he likes or dislikes anything, his expression is always the same and when he gets excited he just grunts louder, like a little piglet! Pugs also don't really bark and when they do it's muffled by their lips, too funny! We got to hear one of those last night, hysterical!

I was concerned that after all this driving I would get him home and our current dog or cat would have such a problem with him we wouldn't be able to keep him. I was sure our dog Maya would be fine but Annie is another story. She's getting a little old so I wasn't sure she'd be willing to put up with this new change but she really doesn't seem to care.I think we've come up with a name. He couldn't completely shake the Mr. Pugface that was supposed to be a temporary name. It's tough, we've been using it for years. But I wanted him to have something that was just for him. I had a stroke of brilliance and decided to name him after the man in black himself, Mr Johnny Cash. So officially my little pug's name is Mr. Cash Pugface but I'll probably call him Mr. Cash. He's going to have many names I fear. The Bohemian has been calling him Mr. Pugface, and the boys have been calling him Captain Pugface, which I actually think is a pretty good Pug name.

Let the Pug adventures begin!

PUG DISCLAIMER

I would never want someone to see me gushing about a particular pet of mine, think they look super swell and run out to acquire one of their own just to realize later it wasn't such a good idea after all. If you're considering a Pug, or any other pet, PLEASE do your research! Pugs aren't for everyone, they're super adorable and lovey but they are also noisy breathers,grunters , snorers, clingy, they have bad gas, are prone to serious health issues, and they're notoriously difficult to train, especially in the house breaking department!

Pugvillage.com is a great place to start your research. Read everything in their side bar and you'll be educated indeed. Their Don't Get A Pug, and Meet The Pug articles are a good place to start along with the Pug Profiler that can help you determine if a Pug is right for you. Pug Village also has a forum for asking questions, just click here.

If you do decide on a new pet please consider a shelter animal or if you're wanting a specific breed then research breed specific rescues in your area. Not only will you get a pet you love but you'll have the peace of mind knowing you gave a home to an animal in need. And dismounting soap box.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats!!! He is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Cash Pugface is PRECIOUS. Cute cute cute cute cute.

    I'd totally dress him up to be matchy matchy with me if I had one. Cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Mr. Cash!!! Congrats on finding a forever family and you could not be in better hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the family Cash! He is a cutie. And I love your twinkie coats!

    ReplyDelete