Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dreams Really Do Come True Mister Pugface

For years I've been wanting a pug, specifically a black one. I have even given him the generic name of Mr. Pugface as a way to refer to him in my daydreaming and "subtle" nudging of my husband. I don't like the idea of purchasing dogs because there are plenty of shelters and breed specific rescues full of sweeties that need homes. I have been eyeballing the rescue websites and such recently but I haven't really felt we could afford to pay the adoption fee for a rescue yet, it's higher than a shelter fee. Today I was brousing petfinder.com and found this little adorable guy who's in a county shelter 4 hours away! When I called and asked my fantastically spectacular husband, who loves and spoils me immensely, if I could get him he said "yes".

I called immediately to see if he was still available and if they'd adopt out of town and got "yes" to both! I was so giddy and hung up to find an online application and make this baby mine. I found out I could apply over the phone so I called back and answered all the questions, was told that my app. looked fantastic but was then told that a pug rescue group had applied for him and was coming to pick him up the next day! "You can still adopt through the rescue." My heart sank and I asked if there was any chance I could still adopt through the shelter since I couldn't really afford the rescue's fees and they were a rescue after all and presumably wanting him to have a home. She apologized and said she just couldn't. I understood, I wouldn't want someone adopting a dog I'd adopted.

I got off the phone and was way more disappointed than I probably should've been about a dog. About 10 min. later I got a call from the lady at the shelter "I called the pug rescue and they would be willing to let you adopt the pug through us." "You're kidding?! Oh, I'm so excited!" I practically yelled in her ear, poor lady, and thanked her as though she'd just allowed me to adopt a child. So, Saturday morning I'll be heading off on an 8 hr. round trip to pick up this little cutie! Part of me is nervous though that I'll get there and he'll have been adopted out to someone else anyway or there will be some strange barrier keeping me from my dream dog. I'm optimistic like that.

I can almost hear my mom reading this and saying "Oh, Sunny, why do you want to be getting another dog?" Don't worry mom, I'll share him with dad so he won't want one of his own anymore! :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I have dreamed of having a little smushed face pug dog for the longest time but my little shi-tzu more than makes up for it. Please post pictures when you bring your little bundle home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following you here and now on Twitter! I'll be watching for an update and pictures!! How exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Sunny!!! He's BEAUTIFUL!!!

    You are both so lucky to have found each other! I am in love with smoosh faced dogs, too. My little Bostons are my first babies. One of them, Enid, I adopted through Petfinder just like you!

    Congratulations on your beautiful new baby. I'm really looking forward to updates and pictures. I'll bet you were made for each other. Your husband, btw, is one of the good ones.

    xox
    Di

    P.S. When you're ready, send me a picture so I can draw his portrait for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, a baby portrait! So happy!

    And there will definitely be updates. I'm so completely obsessed right now I'm sure I'll drive hubby nuts before Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute and how exciting....!!! Another granddog! Did you get your yard fenced?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, no fence yet. I guess walking one dog wasn't enough I decided I needed a puppy too :) I head out tomorrow morning to get him I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete