Thursday, September 25, 2008

For The Birds

Ever since our sod got put in we've been constantly moving the sprinkler around our yard. As soon as I move the sprinkler to the backyard and go inside the most beautiful birds come out to play. They fly through the drops, splash in the puddles, show off for the ladies, it's so much fun! Yesterday I found a baby turtle the size of a quarter! I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Disney movie. There are so many creepy weird insects I can't keep up! Though I must admit, most of those are being poisoned. Sorry, I've never been fond of insects.

I believe the bright blue birds I was watching are Indigo Bunting, if not I'll be hearing from my Dad! The little guy in the first picture was sitting pretty on a branch right out my kitchen window.


The birds play and preen in the puddles and fly through the sprinkler.

I thought this yellow bird must've been a different kind, but after googling Indigo Bunting I'm wondering if it's the female. The males are so bright in the sun!

The little yellow one alone fluffing up and getting in the spray of the sprinkler.

They just kept multiplying! At on point there were even some cardinals in the mix.


Those splashes are being made by some crazy fun loving birds.

Peek a boo! This big 'ole grasshopper was hanging around outside the boys' window.

He was at least 2" long

Hope you have an enchanting day today!

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. I love watching birds at play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one, the only, Carnac the MagnificentSeptember 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM

    Scooter,

    Once again, you are WRONG! Sorry I didn't take you to an art show but there is no excuse for not knowing the difference between and Indigo Bunting and an Eastern Bluebird. The Eastern Bluebird is a much larger bird and they nest with several others. Unlike the not so friendly Indigo Bunting. The Indigo's wings are actually black and appear to be Indigo only when the sun reflects off the plumage.

    Keep up the bird watching kid. And now you have to do one of those endless rantings on why you are called SCOOTER. Love you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures of the birds! I love that part of living with trees all around my house - there are a TON of birds.

    ReplyDelete