Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homeschool Test Drive

'Round the table from the left: Lil' Spitfire, Mr. Golden Curls, Princess, Baby JW, and Warrior.


There are definitely benefits to having a fantastic older sis-in-law who has a similar mothering style and slightly older children. Other than just enjoying said sis-in-law's company, I get to watch her do it all first and learn through her experiences! Homeschooling is something I've considered off and on over the years. I know our public schools are pretty lacking in many areas. Anytime someone said they were homeschooling their children my ears would perk up and I started to wonder if maybe this was something I should consider. I was so glad I had the chance to watch Sarah homeschool the week we were in Texas because it helped me solidify the decision I had mostly already made, homeschooling simply is not for me!

My sister-in-law is a fantastic woman, one of those who is clearly born to be a mother and a homemaker. I'm more like the long lost, less impressive, product of a secret love affair, half sister of June Cleaver. Some people are born with the gifts of motherhood and household, others have to struggle with their nature to survive. The second is me. I struggle to stay on schedules that I know will work and bring balance to my life. I often have science experiments growing in the kitchen and bathrooms. And I can cook and yet so often run out of groceries that I call the Bohemian to pick up a few tv dinners on the way home. I also am not a teacher. I went to college to earn an art degree and tried the art ed. thing. After half a semester of the ed. classes I wanted to run away screaming. Well, I basically did and landed in the welcoming arms of graphic design after a life long mantra of "I will not work behind a desk all day banging around on a computer!"

More importantly I am not a patient person. I so wish I was and strive daily to achieve that goal. Sometimes I'm down right volatile. I've worked hard at becoming a person who doesn't throw things and stomp out the door when angry, which I thankfully got worked out as a newlywed, and struggle to be one who can be patient while her children learn life at a snail's pace, also getting that handled. I've come a long way but I know enough about myself to know I haven't come far enough to school my own children. I have 100% confidence I could pick good curriculum, schedule out a beautifully well balanced week full of education, hands on learning, art, music...I also know with the same amount of certainty I couldn't carry it through for a week without pulling out every hair on my head twice over. I do believe successful homeschooling can be achieved, just not by me.

So in a mere 7 months my first baby will begin his trek into the big big world and his trek will start with public school. And I will still be his Mamma: his teacher, his doctor, his chauffeur, his cook, his maid, his mentor, his shoulder to cry on but I'll also get to be the emotionally stable, often crafting, coffee toting mom helping out on the occasional field trip...and I'm ok with that.

1 comment:

  1. You aren't the only one who is okay with that. Thank you for the kudos, but don't sell yourself short. There are many ways in which I was more like you. I love you sis. You are an awesome wife to my baby brother and an fantastic Mom to my nephews.

    ReplyDelete