Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Bohemian Life Part II

Last time I showed off pictures of the adorable outside of my husband's new bohemian abode but now it's time to enter the darkness. Here are the pictures of the inside, a place that has been affectionately nicknamed "the cave" by his co-workers.



This is the door to his room. It's a precarious entrance. The platform doesn't really meet up with the very steep steps so you kind of have to step over to get there. There's also a lovely water heater taking up part of the platform and you can see a gaping whole in the wall. Inside is a nasty mess of who knows what. The door didn't have a lock on it, which was fine with the Bohemian, since the outside door locked, but when an interesting neighbor moved upstairs and had to share his kitchenette/bathroom he decided to invest in a pad lock.



Here is my husband standing in his room. Stooping is a better word, neither one of us can stand all the way up in there! You can stand when you first walk in but then it steps up. To his right, going up to his elbow, is the bed's mega platform. It's built over all the heat/air ducts so when the heat kicks on we get to really experience it. We can hear and feel the rumbling. I have to get on a chair to climb up on the bed! That's why we get to cuddle with the restaurant upstairs.



Down down down the stairs. The green door on the right goes directly into the quilt shop. When the Bohemian first moved in they didn't have it locked, actually the door is too small for the frame, so we could have just roamed around the shop at night. We didn't have that desire though. They did add a lock after the interesting character moved in upstairs, hmmm, are you sensing a theme with this neighbor? The door to the left is the entrance to the kitchenette/bathroom. There is no lock, there is no doorknob and it is shared by the quilt shop! In between the doors are some lovely farm implements. I think they really add to the cozy feel of the place.



The kitchenette. Need I say more. This is not our mess but the one left by the owner, who clearly has trouble getting rid of anything. I just can't bring myself to touch anything enough to clean up. I would expect more from a gay man, honestly, where's that famed gay man cleanliness and style?

More of the same in the bathroom, none of this stuff belongs to us. Atleast the toilet and sink were clean. There is a shower but not one we want to step foot in so everyday we haul our stuff to the church and shower. We're such waifs.



Up up up. So many stairs in Hot Springs. Not just the apartment but all over town. I guess that's what happens when you build a town on the side of a cliff. One entire side of the main drag has a sheer cliff right behind all the storefronts and there are hills behind the buildings on the other side. I like it, this town is full of character and characters.

I have always had a thing for old buildings and old doors.

5 comments:

  1. Uh.....hope your house sells soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunny, I am absolutely hyperventilating over here!!! How in the world could you sleep like that? I am getting empathic claustrophia right now. Hoping and praying your house sells soon!!! And here's to that creepy neighbor keeping his nose clean... shivers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cool adventure you guys are on! I have a teensy bit of jealousy since I have always secretly wanted to live in an artsy place with tons of character. Do you know if the place is haunted? I always hear of spooky things about Hot Springs. The most hilarious thing is that the place is filled with someone else's stuff! I guess you just live around it. Do the boys like the apartment? I bet they love the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The worst thing to me isn't the claustrophobia, it's going downstairs into the yick! Oh, and an update about the neighbor: He didn't keep his nose clean, he got arrested for stealing a wax bust from the museum up the street :) too funny! I think he was relatively harmless just not all there, and liked to take off with my husband's food.

    Shelley, I was jelous of my husband getting to move off and live the artsy life but not any more. I like to visit and live it a few days at a time! Now I'm just ready for us all to be back together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Great nieghbor.

    Hot Springs is so funny.Oh! And Hubb said, unless he's grown his mustache since he's seen him, that may not have been the Good Doctor.

    He's short, dresses casually, and has a great smile.His hair is silver toned. His dogs(Great Danes) live in the apartments on their own most of the time. He has maids that check on them on the hour.

    ReplyDelete