Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Happy Fall!

I can hardly believe it's October not to mention a mere 2.5 weeks away from Halloween! For the first time ever we helped the boys carve jack-o-lanterns. Don't worry they haven't been 100% deprived, up to this point we've done a yearly painting of the pumpkins. Pappa wielded the knife but the designs were all boy. Mr. Golden Curls is on the far left. He got to pick it out on his very first field trip at school, they went to a farm. Lil' Spitfire is on the far right. He said he wanted his to be an angry one and I think he succeeded! The center jack-o-lantern was a group effort between the Bohemian and I. Alright, he did it all while I was busily baking apples stuffed with raisins and a sauce made of cinnamon and red wine. Mmmm did it ever smell like fall in our house. We also baked up the pumpkin seeds we some pulled out of the jack-o-lanterns into spicy pumpkin seeds. It was an easy recipe I found on Martha Stewart's website. I know it seems like an oxymoron but I promise Martha Stewart and easy recipe can co-exist in the same sentence, on occasion.

The obligatory silly timer picture.

Yet another piece of pictorial evidence of the vast differences that can exist between brothers.

Mr. Golden Curls was completely grossed out by having to dig out the pumpkin guts and made this "ewww, ew, ew" face the whole time.

Lil' Spitfire, more in a rebellion against brother than anything else, thought digging out the guts was the most glorious thing he'd ever done.

Lil' Spitfire helped with the spiced pumpkin seeds. He loves to cook and has said on several occasions he'd like to be a chef when he grows up. Like all little kids, his future occupation changes on a moment to moment basis and is often completely influenced by whatever wonderful thing he happens to be doing at that very specific point and time. Wasn't it just a few days ago that he was painting and declared "I want to be an artist superhero when I grow up."

I almost never get a good shot of Lil' Spitfire smiling at the camera, awww. Looks a smidge like his mamma don't you think?

5 comments:

  1. Hey! Now that is a really cute photo of you guys with your pumpkins! Believe it or not I haven't done a single thing yet for fall or Halloween. Maybe this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't?! I can hardly believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture of Jackson diggin into the guts soooo reminds me of Casey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, he is a lot like Casey was when he was a kid. And he must look like him because Case and I look so much alike, we all have that chin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow! What a great picture. And since I did not know you as a child he may look like you. But he looks like Bill did about that age. And I have never seen the resemblance there until this picture. And he looks so grown up! like a little boys instead of a baby. I miss them soooo much! You look like you are having such fun. Give all my boys kisses and hugs!

    ReplyDelete