Friday, December 23, 2011

Coupon Queen (in training)


I feel an obsession coming on, a coupon obsession! I'm definitely taking baby steps (teehee, get it, baby steps...ok sorry) but I'm really excited about it. Above is the result of my first outing specifically for the purpose of using all of a certain coupon to get a good deal. It's no Extreme Couponing feat of savings but I did get $23.16 worth of baby food and baby cereal for $14.06! Sweetness! I was so disappointed that two of my coupons didn't scan for an unknown reason, those would have gotten me $24 in formula for $14. Still learning the rules and regs! In the pic below are some batteries from Office Depot that I will get 100% back in gift cards just by using my free rewards card when purchasing them, that made me happy!

You know the saying it takes money to make money? That would be my binder below. Not that it was hugely expensive but it was sort of hard to spend money when you're going into this thing to save. My binder makes me too happy, I'm sure it's a sickness. I keep telling my husband "everything in life should be like this binder, everything neatly in it's place, labelled, clean and tidy. Mmmmm."


My first grocery shopping trip with my binder felt like a disaster. Between store card, coupons and digital coupons I saved about $30, fine except that my total bill was about 2x's the usual, wowza! For a family of 5 with three pets you can imagine that would be a large amount. I felt a little better about it later when I took a good look at it. Turns out attention to detail equals big grocery bill...but hopefully no small trips in addition to the big one, tricking me into thinking I spend less on groceries. Ok, off to hunt some bargains and try to keep the reigns on this potential addiction, moderation in all things right?

3 comments:

  1. It's so funny how our lives seem parallel sometimes...I, too, have really started some serious couponing. If you have any tips or tricks pass them on...although I will say your big "F" word did make me cringe a tad when I read it...love u and your fam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy! It's like when we go to each others' houses after years of seeing each other and we're using the same products! You scared me there w/the "F" word, then I realized what you were talking about:) Don't cringe, I'm still a breastfeeding mama. Just gives him something healthy for his cup without trading the pump for nursing. He's eating solids like a hoss now and we're naturally weaned down to 3 nursing sessions a day. I'm shooting for a year of nursing, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew...you had me worried ;) I've jumped on the breastfeeding bandwagon wholeheartedly...never have felt so passionate about advocating for something in my life, but becoming a mama has lit all sorts of fire under me...I'm even considering a career change bc of it :)

    ReplyDelete